I've graduated lor!
And just like that, all my 16 years of education has come to an end. Uni life was amazing and I think it passed a little too quickly. While I must say that I enjoyed all my education thus far, nothing beats CS. Note that I really hate NTU, the organic university - with all its minions and administration, and ancient communications department, and even more ancient powers that be.
Life in CS is nothing short of quirky. Like the dear valedictorian, Kang Li, said, we are far too noisy. And amongst us are a kaleidoscope of different talents, from him, the amazing photojournalist who has won champion in international competitions, to "models", to album selling singers, to videographers, to activists like myself, and the list goes on. Through a strange passion (or law reject if you are ling or jingli), life brought all of us together in this strange orphaned course - Communication Studies. It might not apply to all, but for me, its been a very inspiring journey. Professors have opened our minds, and broadened our thinking. Its hard to sit through the course and be narrow minded. Its hard to not be a critical thinker, gone are the days where we just simply believe everything people say, or read.
As this chapter of my life closes, I have no idea what lies ahead of me. Some of my friends have, most unexpectedly, gone on to do things I would never imagine they would do. Lynette, the "spoilt" one has gone to Ghana to work for an NGO. This is the women who, for the life her, cannot walk up the slope to canteen B and has to pull my bag to drag her up, and yet is the fastest 2.4km runner in the tennis team. This same woman backpacked SEA with all of 5 t-shirts and shorts.
A tiny part inside of me wonders what is this whole point of working. What is the value of work? It is part of this consumer-capitalistic culture that I loathe. I want to do something of value, something that makes things better, not in terms of money. The things money can't buy. I wanted to teach because I can teach future generations of people, I want to be a counsellor, because I want to help.
As of now, I know what material things in life I want to achieve, but suddenly, I am not sure what else I personally want to achieve. Maybe after 2 years, I might just runaway to another country and do something that I really want to do. Teach some poor impoverished children in a developing country? Run to Melbourne and be a counsellor? Start a cafe collective in Singapore? Something that helps the world be better.
3 comments:
an "awwww" post!
I also have no idea what lies ahead, but right now I have to keep my job and earn some cash. haha
So if you open a cafe will you employ me hahah I will be the janitor or barister
Yes start work soon. though well the working environment is honestly a bit more structured and restricted what we are used to. Hopefully you feel it a tad less. Its kinda terrible in cluster sometimes. I miss you. Hurry come keep me company at work
Post a Comment