This video is made for this year's Pink Dot! And it reminds of the many different times in my life, and the different stages I had to go through to be who I am today. A gay man who is very comfortable with my sexuality, have my friends love me for exactly who I am, have my mother who tells me that my happiness is more important than anything else in the world, and to work in a company where my heterosexual boss can joke around with me. I am grateful.
The first scene of the clips reminds me of Jeremiah. He's this very peculiar friend of mine, and peculiar here carries no negative connotation. I knew Jere in PRIMARY SCHOOL! (Can you believe it) but it wasn't till junior college that we got close, close enough for me to come out to him, and it was with much fear. I will never forget how he defended gay men in camp. Jere told me about the jokes and things that his army mates will say, and oftentimes, even I would let it just pass and allow them to make derogatory remarks. But not Jere. He told them that not all gay men are like that, one of his besties (that's me!) is nothing like what they say, and it is through little actions like that, that people can stop viewing gay people through tinted lenses. So thank you Jere!
And its not just him, all my friends have been nothing but loving - too many to name, but you know who you are. You've all been through my ups and my downs, listened to me cry over man, or men (depending on when you knew me), and it was never with judgement nor disapproval, aside from the disapproval that I allow myself to get hurt. There's so much love from so many of you. You've even been through my coming out process with my mom.
It was not actually a coming out process because mommies always know. Trust me. And it started out really as a power issue which then led me to officially come out to her, and boy was it nasty. After a couple of weeks of not talking to me, and me writing a very long and heartfelt letter to her, she asked me one evening what I would like to eat for dinner. Its her way of saying things are going to be fine now. Eventually she told me that she wants me to be happy, and she cannot bear to be like the other moms who forced their sons to get married, and end up with 3 unhappy people and a broken family.
Every time I recount this story I will tear, like how my mom told me, after a very messy breakup, that even if the sky falls down, she will hold it up for me. How can I not be thankful to an incredible mommy like her. And my other family members too!
And things today can't be any better. My mom loves fabby and we practically live together for more days of the week than I can count, and he's been the sweetest boy (he made my mom a Mother's Day card), my work environment is loving and accepting. I can't think of a better personal life yet.
So dear friends, won't you join me this June 18 at the Pink Dot, so that we can show everyone that there's nothing wrong with my love, it is the same love as your love and the same as everyone's else. And tell all the gay people you know that you love them for exactly who they are.
Love,
Scotty
No comments:
Post a Comment